The novel corona virus, or COVID-19, pandemic has spread across 155 countries. There are 126 active reported cases of corona virus in India right now. The Union Health Ministry has said that 13 people have recovered so far, but three have died. The third death was reported from Mumbai today. A 64-year-old died in Mumbai. Globally, the number of cases has hit 183,143, with 7,175 reported deaths across 157 countries.
The usual precautions for avoiding Corona viruses:
· Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 15-20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
· Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
· Avoid close contact (within 6 feet) with people who are sick.
· Stay home when you are sick.
· Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
· Standard household cleansers and wipes are effective in cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched objects and surfaces.
· It’s currently flu and respiratory disease season and CDC recommends getting vaccinated, taking everyday preventive actions to stop the spread of germs, and taking flu antivirals if prescribed.
The proper way to apply hand sanitizer
1. Apply a small amount of sanitizer to the palm of one hand.
2. Rub your hands together, covering all surfaces of both hands, including between your fingers and around your fingertips and nails.
3. Rub hands together for at least 20 seconds to allow your hands to completely absorb the product and let the hand sanitizer to completely dry.
4. Don’t touch food or anything till your hands are dry.
The proper way to wear a mask
· Before putting on a mask, clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
· Unfold the pleats of the mask, it’s important to make sure they are facing down.
· Place the mask on your face to cover nose, mouth and chin completely and ensure that there are no gaps on any side.
· Change the mask every six hours or once it is wet. Hold the mask by the strings and avoid touching while wearing.
· Don’t touch the exterior of the mask as they have risk of contamination.
· Don't leave the mask hanging from the neck. Never reuse disposable masks and make sure that the used mask is dumped in a closed bin.
· Always wash your hands with soap and water or sanitizer when you remove your mask.
Take steps to protect others
1. Stay home if you’re sick
• Stay home if you are sick, except to get medical care.
2. Cover coughs and sneezes
• Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue while coughing and sneezing.
• Throw used tissues in the trash.
• Immediately wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap is not readily available, clean your hands with a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
3. Wear a face mask if you are sick
• If you are sick: You should wear a face mask when you are around other people and before you enter a healthcare provider’s office. People who are caring for you should wear a face mask if they enter your room.
4. Clean and disinfect
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily.
• If surfaces are dirty, clean them: Use detergent or soap and water prior to disinfection.